File Online: Statement of Information for California Corporations
What is a Statement of Information?
An Annual Report, also referred to as a Statement of Information (SOI), is a document that the Secretary of State requires all corporations to submit annually. This form is required regardless of whether the corporation has been actively conducting business or not. This document keeps up-to-date information about the corporation’s address, Registered Agent, CEO, Officers/Managers and/or members’ names and addresses.
Keep in mind that there is a different form and fee depending on your type of corporation. Below is a list of which form and filing fee goes with what type of corporation:
- Form SI-100: Domestic Nonprofit, Credit Union and General Cooperative Corporations
- Form SI-200: Domestic Stock and Agricultural Cooperative Corporations
- Form SI-350: Foreign Corporations
- Form SI-PT: Corporate Disclosure Statement (Publicly Traded Domestic Stock or Foreign Corporation)
- Form SI-CID: Statement by Common Interest Development Association
- NOTE: This form MUST be filed together with Form SI-100
When to File
The initial SOI must be filed within 90 days of registering your corporation with the Secretary of State, along with the corresponding filing fee (listed above). Nationwide it is required to file the Statement of Information in the state in which the corporation is organized in, as well as anywhere else that the corporation is “foreign qualified” to do business. After the initial SOI has been filed, you must file a new SOI annually. This also requires a filing fee.
For example: If you registered your corporation in July 17th 2016, the initial SOI would be due no later than October 17th2016 and then every year after that between March and the end of July in 2017, 2018, 2019 and so on.
You will also be required to file an updated SOI form (no filing fee), even if it is within the year time span, if any of these changes have been made to your corporation:
- The Corporation moves
- Elects new officers
- Adds or Deletes Directors
- Changes the name of its Registered Agent for Service of Process
- Changes the type of business the Corporation is engaged in
Note: If you fail to file your SOI on time, you are subject to a $250 late fee as well as the Secretary of State suspending the Corporation’s status, losing its right to do business in CA.
General Tips for Filing
- Type the form instead of hand writing it because if the state cannot read your writing they will reject it.
- Read the instruction carefully for each form as they are all slightly different.
- The name of the corporation must be entered exactly as it is registered with the California Secretary of State. The name and entity number can be researched on http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/
- Addresses must be completed with the city, state and zip. The form will get rejected if an address is incomplete or if a P.O. Box is entered as a street address.
- Corporations must have all three statutory officers. (Chief Executive Officer, Secretary and Chief Financial Officer.)
- If the entity is a Common Interest Development, make sure that the CID box on the Form SI-100 must be checked and both the Form SI-CID and Form SI-100 must be submitted
How to file
There are a few different ways to file the corporation forms.
- By Mail: Send the form to: Secretary of State, Statement of Information Unit, P.O. Box 944230, Sacramento, CA 94244-2300. It is suggested that you include a check in the amount of the specific filing fee for your corporation in case the filing fee is required. If you would like a filed copy/proof of submittal back you must provide an additional check in the amount of $1.00 for the first page, and $0.50 for every additional page after that, as well as a return receipt request stating that you would like a copy back, with a pre-stamped envelope and it will be sent to the mailing address that is provided on the form. You can find the necessary form and instructions to file it yourself above. This may take several weeks to process, so be aware that if you need it processed sooner there are other options available which are given below.
- Over the counter at the Secretary of State: You can walk in and drop the form off directly to the SOI counter for filing. They will let you know if there is a fee required, and ask if you would like a copy as well as if you want to pick the document up when it has finished processing or have it mailed out to you.
- Online: Go to https://businessfilings.sos.ca.gov/, search by your corporate name, click on the name once found, then click “continue filing,” and follow the instructions. This can ONLY be done if it is time to renew, not for any updates made throughout the year. *You CANNOT file Form SI-CID (Statement by Common Interest Development Association) online.
- BAAS: To ensure a quicker filings and have a copy returned to you sooner, BAAS has the experience to get the job done. We look over your filing, hand deliver your filing to the Secretary of State’s office as well as email a scanned copy of the processed filing. You can submit your information through our website, or talk account manager by phone if further help is needed.